Background and History
The Wisconsin Council on Medical Education and Workforce (WCMEW) was formed in 2004 as a response to “Who Will Care for Our Patients?,” a report that predicted a future shortage of health care practitioners and called for action to address it. Since its inception, WCMEW has served as a convener and platform for highlighting health care workforce issues.
The mission of WCMEW is to ensure a health care workforce that meets the needs of Wisconsin citizens by convening a wide breadth of stakeholders to:
- Create a comprehensive statewide health care workforce strategic plan, and provide ongoing monitoring of progress towards plan objectives.
- Work with Wisconsin’s education and training organizations to promote an appropriate supply of health care practitioners.
- Monitor changes in care delivery, and encourage incorporation of those changes into education and training, and expansion of best practices.
- Promote ongoing research, education and communication on workforce issues.
Past and Current WCMEW Activities
- “A Work in Progress: Building Wisconsin’s Future Physician Workforce“
- “100 New Physicians a Year: an Imperative for Wisconsin”
- 2013 and 2016 Conferences on Graduate Medical Education
- 2014, 2015, and 2016 Team-Based Care Summits
- Leadership Role in NGA Healthcare Workforce Policy Academy
- State of WI GME Grant Process
- Participating in advancing GME in Northern WI (WiNC)
- Work Group on Team-Based Care
- Work Group on Post Graduate Training
WCMEW serves as Wisconsin’s leading convener of diverse stakeholders and thought leaders concerned about our current and future health care workforce. Members include health care providers, educational institutions, and other stakeholders in Wisconsin’s health care workforce. Organizations represented on the Council include:
- Wisconsin Nurses Association
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin
- UW School of Medicine and Public Health
- Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants
- Wisconsin Hospital Association
- Rural Wisconsin Health Cooperative
- Wisconsin Medical Society
- Association of Nurse Educators of Wisconsin
- State of Wisconsin